Recipe #1 in our ‘Yummy Mummy Series’ we whipped these up to take in hospital with us as a hearty snack for the birth of our 3rd Sous Chef.
Lamb, Caramelised Onion & Rosemary Sausage Rolls
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 32 Mini Sausage Rolls
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 44 minutes
- Serves: 32 Mini Sausage Rolls
- 2 kg Lamb Mince
- 4 Small Brown Onions
- Knob Salted Butter
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary
- 3 Slices Stale Sourdough
- 4 Eggs
- Flakey Salt
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
- 4 Sheets Butter Puff Pastry
Slice 4 onions and add to a pan on medium heat with a large knob of salted butter. Let that sweat down for 5mins then add 4 chopped cloves of garlic and 2 tablespoons of finely chopped rosemary and let that caramelise for another 5-10 mins until nice and golden.
2. In a mixing bowl, add the onions to 2kg of lamb and 2 eggs, a generous pinch of salt and pepper and mix. Blitz up 3 slices of stale sourdough to bread crumbs and mix those through.
TIP: at this point you’ve made meatballs so cook up a little meatball to try the seasoning, if you’d like more salt or pepper add it now. You can also ball up some mixture into meatballs and freeze them.
3. Crack 2 eggs into a bowl with a good pinch of salt and whisk up.
4. Roll out your thawed butter puff pastry and create a log of the mixture along the pastry. brush one edge with egg then roll the pastry over to form your sausage roll.
TIP: You can then freeze them to firm them up to make them easier to cut into little sausage rolls, or just freeze them in logs to use for later.
5. Bring the sausage rolls out of the freezer after 30mins and cut into little rolls, clean you knife after each cut with a tea towel to make it easier to chop.
6. Brush with egg wash and pop into an oven at 180C until golden for approx 30mins. 6. Brush with egg wash and pop into an oven at 180C until golden for approx 30mins.
7. Enjoy! You can freeze them to re heat or keep them in the fridge to be enjoyed hot or cold.